In an invited talk at the annual conference of the European Material Research Society (E-MRS) in Warsaw ALLOS’ CTO Dr. Atsushi Nishikawa explained the scientific background of how ALLOS’ GaN-on-Si technology for High Power Electronics (HPE) achieves excellent isolation and dynamic performance by using high crystal quality GaN and no carbon doping.
Dr. Nishikawa pointed out the main properties of ALLOS’ technology and differentiators from common but less performant approaches to GaN-on-Si for HPE:
- • Focus on growing thick, high-quality GaN-on-silicon, based on ALLOS’ unique IP.
• Separation of strain-engineering by interlayer and crystal quality improvement with Epitaxial Lateral Overgrowth (ELO) layer. This enables to achieve excellent bow control and crystal quality at the same time.
• The proprietary strain-engineering approach also allows to grow large diameter (200 mm and in the future 300 mm), thick and crack-free GaN-on-Si epiwafers, which enable both quality and cost advantages.
• A high critical electric field of 2.0 MV/cm and low leakage currents are achieved by the high-quality GaN, which open the way to use GaN-on-Si for higher voltage applications like 900 and 1200 V devices.
• Excellent dynamic performance is achieved without complicated device processes because of low carbon impurity in GaN (no intentional carbon doping).
• Excellent on-wafer uniformity and wafer-to-wafer reproducibility are achieved. Due to the high crystal quality of GaN excellent device reliability can be expected, too.
• ALLOS’ technology is independent from any reactor vendor and has shown excellent performance on many MOCVD reactor types, among them AIXTRON G5, Veeco K465i and Veeco Propel.
For further information about the conference and the E-MRS click here.
For more information or to receive a personal copy of the presentation, please contact our sales team at email@example.com or give us a call at +49-351-212 937-20. Follow us on Linkedin or Twitter to get updates.